The other day I posted a short update about my goals, or lack thereof, for 2020. I promised that I wouldn’t flood you with posts about setting annual goals. And I won’t. This post is not about goals, but rather about life, and living in 2020.
When I was in my 20s, I never thought I’d see the age of 30, nonetheless, 40, 50, and now 56. I went to the see the doctor recently. My polycythemia vera seems to be staying managed quite well. However, no matter how old you are, and what health conditions you have, today you woke up one day closer to death. That’s right! You are going to die!
Sorry to Be a Downer, but It’s Life
It’s true. Death could be just around the corner. That’s why Life 2020 is so important. And here’s the gist of today’s message: Live the life you want to live… Now!
If you’re like me, you have some limitations. You can’t just retire, move to a tropical island, and sit with you toes in the sand and margarita in hand. That’s not how life fucking works. But you can do little things that make you happy today.
- Work less: If you’re working more than 40 hours a week, you’re working too much. Unless you love your job more than your partner or your kids, (and if you do that might lead to other problems), you should make sure to have time to do the things you love with the people who matter.
- Create less: I love to be creative. However, if I add up my creativity hours on top of my work week, I’m spending too much time on my computer. I might love what I do, but my kid has less than four years until college. I need to reserve more time for her.
- Splurge: Sorry minimalists, but sometimes the restrictive lifestyle can make you miserable. I’m all for living within my means, and watching my level of consumption. But sometimes you have to say fuck it and buy yourself or your loved ones something special. Even if it breaks your little minimalist heart. Remember, you could die tomorrow.
- Travel: Sitting in one place doing the same things over and over is not living. I want to see the world. I want to go to the ocean where I feel a deep connection and a sense of peace. If you’re working so hard, or creating so much that you don’t have time to travel, you’re doing it wrong.
- Love: I suck at love. Well, not really. I’m a pretty loving guy when I want to be. I can also be selfish. I’m going to make an effort to love more in the coming year. In 2020, I encourage you to try to spend more time with the ones you love. Be there for your family and friends.
These Are Not Goals, this Is Life 2020
I’m not setting any goals to do more or less of the stuff on the list. I’m just making the observation that overworking and being too busy hinders what really matters. And what really matters? You matter. The ones you love matter. Don’t be afraid to live a little. Here are some things you can do today:
- Treat yourself out for a meal.
- Take your family or friends out for meal.
- Have some ice cream.
- Go to a movie you’d like to see.
- Buy yourself something you’ve been wanting for a long time.
- Go somewhere you want to go.
- Tell someone you love them.
I’m not suggesting you go apeshit crazy. I’m simply suggesting that we spend more time living in 2020.
Learn more about Life. Sign up for the newsletter and get a free ebook.